The Dos and Don’ts of Power Washing a Brick Patio
Power washing brick patio can be a great way to clean it, but there are some dos and don’ts you’ll want to follow to make sure the job goes as smoothly as possible. Here are the most important things to keep in mind:
Dos for Power Washing Brick Patio
- Always test the power washer on a small, inconspicuous area of the patio to make sure it doesn’t damage the bricks. You don’t want to blast away too much of the brick surface or mortar.
- Start by sweeping the patio clean to remove any dirt or debris. This will help ensure that the power washer doesn’t blast away any of the mortar between the bricks.
- By power washing the dirt and debris off of the patio. This will help minimize the amount of dust and mud that gets kicked up when you start washing the bricks.
- Use a low pressure setting on the power washer and go slowly when washing the bricks. You don’t want to damage them with too much force.
- Use a wide spray nozzle to cover a large area at once, and be sure to keep the nozzle moving so you don’t damage the surface.
- Wet down the entire patio before you start washing the bricks. This will help keep the dust and mud from flying all over, and it will also help the bricks to clean more easily.
- If you see any areas where the bricks are stained or dirty, take the time to clean them up using a scrub brush or a wire brush.
- Let the patio dry completely before walking on it, and be careful not to track any mud or dirt into the house.
- Don’t use a power washer on a dry patio – the high pressure can damage the bricks.
- Don’t use a high pressure setting on the power washer. This can damage the bricks and cause them to chip or crack.
- Don’t use a power washer if the patio is covered in snow or ice – you could damage the surface.
- Don’t try to clean the entire patio in one go. It’s best to break it up into smaller sections and wash each section thoroughly.
- Don’t spray water directly at the brick mortar – you could wash away the mortar and cause the bricks to fall apart.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or detergents when cleaning the bricks. A little bit of soap and water should be enough to get them clean.
- Don’t use a metal brush when cleaning the bricks. This can scratch the surface and damage the bricks.
- Don’t rush through the cleaning process. Take your time and make sure to do a thorough job.
- Don’t use a power washer if you’re not familiar with how they work – it’s easy to damage the surface if you’re not careful.
- Don’t let kids or pets play on the patio until it’s completely dry, as they could track in mud and dirt.
Follow these dos and don’ts when power washing a brick patio, and you’ll be able to clean it up quickly and easily. Just be sure to take your time and go slowly, and avoid using too much pressure or harsh chemicals. Let the patio dry completely before walking on it, and be careful not to track any mud or dirt into the house. Enjoy your clean patio!
12119 Sawhill Blvd, Spotsylvania Courthouse, VA 22553